My goal with this site is to share my experience preparing for and beginning an MFA in Creative Nonfiction at Goucher College this January. I will share snippets of the past several months leading up to this point, which include:
- The morning of July 2014, when I realized NOW is the time to start the process of writing my book.
- Researching story craft and books in the creative nonfiction genre, learning to read books as a writer, and noting the authors’ use of backstory, reflective voice and verb tense in the margins.
- Enrolling in Creative Nonfiction magazine’s “Advanced Memoir and Personal Essay” online writing course with instructor, Jonathan Callard, and sharing my work with others for the first time in 15 years.
- Meeting writers at Creative Writers Conference and making lasting connections with them.
- Deciding to apply to Goucher’s MFA program, thinking it would be a nice experiment because they would never accept me.
- Being accepted into Goucher’s MFA program and realizing this was my opportunity to follow my dream, so don’t screw it up by chickening out – GO!
- Encountering mentors along the way: face-to-face mentors, those who encouraged me from a distance, and those I haven’t met but feel like I know through their podcasts, books or TedTalk videos.
I will also write about participating in Nanowrimo “National Novel Writing Month” this November and what it’s like to write 1,600 words a day for a month.
So, join me on this journey.